Outrages at Guantanamo must stop!
Lt. Col. Gordon Cucullu USA reports that American military personnel are under constant threat of assault in the compound, subjected to a "daily barrage of feces, urine, semen, and spit hurled at them along with vile invective." Some detainees attempt to gouge out American guards' eyes, and one even threatened military police to find out on the Internet where they live, slaughter their spouses and children, and drink their blood.
In his Front Page Magazine essay, the colonel also reports on continued outrages that the press has not yet unmasked:
* Three meals a day that are so plentiful and appetizing that the colonel thought they represented an entire day's ration: "vegetables, pita bread, and other well-prepared food filled two of the large Styrofoam take-home containers we see in restaurants";
* Special meals for terrorists who are picky about their vegetables;
* Spoiling terrorists who don't like their food; one “throws back his food tray if it contains things he has specifically said he doesn’t want," so the guards number his tray, write what kind of food he wants, and have the special "order" delivered to his cell;
* Diets that are so rich that some terrorists not only have gained weight since their battlefield capture, but are actually getting fat;
* A modern medical center "comparable to a well-equipped and staffed small-town hospital with operating, dental, routine facilities," and obsessive, four-times-a-month medical checkups for each of the 520 detainees;
* US taxpayer-issued Korans for each prisoner - with specially installed racks in every cell so the terrorists' spiritual reinforcement doesn't ever touch the floor;
* "These thugs are treated with an amazing degree of compassion: They are given ice cream treats and recreational time. They live in clean facilities, and receive a full Muslim religious package of Koran, prayer rug, beads, and prayer oils. An arrow in every cell points to Mecca. The call to prayer is played five times daily."
* No discipline for detainees for bad behavior.
This is the real outrage in Guantanamo. It goes way beyond the basics of humane treatment. Not even American prisoners are treated as well.
Col. Cucullu concludes, "You are right to worry about inhumane treatment taking place at GITMO. But your concern should be for the dedicated, well-trained, highly professional American men and women who are subjected to a daily barrage of feces, urine, semen, and spit hurled at them along with vile invective as they implement a humane, enlightened system of confinement on men who want nothing more than to kill Americans."
"We left convinced that America is being extraordinarily lenient – far too lenient."